Sentence formation activities (especially in game format) help learners in more ways than one:
- They help learners lengthen their sentences by adding antecedents (“Due to the rainstorm”).
- They help learners lengthen their sentences by adding more descriptive words.
- They help learners see a sentence as a complete thought.
- They build working memory, as you hold one phrase in mind while searching for a phrase to add to it.
- They build expressive language by helping learners practice it.
Here are some games to try:
http://www.softschools.com/language_arts/games/sentence_structure/form_a_sentence/ - Play at Level 3 if you’re in Grade 3 (or about to be in Grade 3)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks1/literacy/making_sentences/play/ - Do Kung-Fu Sentences, Hard, Turn Music Off